Thursday, May 23, 2013

Jewelry, check!

Finally I have something ready and completed! I was bit skeptical about making anything complex from Fimo, but everything went better than expected. I had few problems on the way. Mostly they were sculpting issues with strange shapes and how to achieve them; from solid chunks or by cutting them with patterns from a sheet of clay.

Next to latex molds I used Fimo itself to make molds for the little trinkets for the amulet and earrings. I baked the molds and let them cool. I used talc as release agent. I took a small piece of Fimo and push it in the mold. With right amount of talc the clay popped out almost by itself. After baking I trimmed the pieces with a exacto knife.

I painted the jewelry pieces with metal paint and used black stain to age them. The wooden pearls I painted with acrylics. Finally I sprayed clear lacquer to finish the surfaces.

 Left: coins with stain

I used jewelry hooks to attach the trinkets. I secured them with epoxy glue which I also used to glue on the red stones. I drilled tiny holes for the coins and used stitching thread to hang them from the amulet.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Keeping busy

The first thing I noticed this morning after logging in on our account was that our reader count had reached 100! Thank you! I hope that you find and will find the content we create interesting and useful! We actually had something planned for this particular event, but the 200 kilometers between me and Yoki somewhat ruined it.  Instead I give you a photo of us in pants Yoki made for her next costume!

Last month was a busy one for me with visiting our brother and his family on the other side of Finland, birthday parties and my other hobby, theater. They consumed more time than I expected and naturally slowed down my progress with Amir. But I had made my timetable rather crazy to ensure that I keep my pace. I’m now back on track and bit ahead. I actually made some stage props for the performance in advance.

I finished the hat with the cloth wrappings. Despite the amount of fabric on the back of the hat, it fits quite nicely without any fastenings.

I also forced myself to work on the undershirt, because the sleeves and front are quite crucial part of the overall look of the costume. I think I managed to replicate the design pretty well even if it always looks bit different in every frame. I’m currently embroidering the collar and the back of the shirt.

I baked some more jewelry. This time it was the bracelets.

I also styled the prettiest wig on Earth! I still need to braid it and add the accessories.